Posted on April 17th, 2014 by skirschner
It’s official — winners of the 17th annual Cincinnati Canstruction competition were announced on Friday, March 7th during the Cincinnati Canstruction Awards Gala at the Fifth Third Theater of the Aronoff Center for the Arts. Co-Chairs Kelly Hollatz and Stephanie Kirschner served as emcees for the evening and had the pleasure of announcing the winners.
- Honorable Mention – “Saving the Kingdon, One Can at a Time” by Danis Building Construction Company/KZF Design
- Best Meal – “Fighting Hunger: One Fork at a Time” by K4 Architecture/HGC Construction
- Best Use of Labels – “Power Up to Fight Hunger” by KLH Engineers
- Structural Ingenuity – “LUV CAN…” by GBBN Architects
- Jurors’ Favorite – “Ducking the Obstacles of Hunger” by the University of Cincinnati, Construction Student Association.
The CAN Spirit Award, given to the team that has the most cans in their structure and sponsored by Oswald Companies, was awarded to the University of Cincinnati – Department of Architecture & Interiors team for their rendition of “Study of Cans as a Wall with Pattern & Texture”. The structure contained 6,052 cans.
The Food Barrel Challenge Award is presented to the firm who collects the most funds during our Virtual Food Drive. This year’s winner was the firm of HDR, Inc.
The public was also invited to help select the winner of our final prize – the People’s Choice award. Voting took place on our Facebook page – Facebook.com/CinciCan. Voters had to ”Like” our page then click on the Canstruction People’s Choice Award Album to view the entries. This year’s People’s Choice winner was the team of MSA Architects “We’re Not in CANsas Anymore.”
When all of the donations were collected and weighed, Cincinnati Canstruction donated 50,682 pounds of food to the Freestore Foodbank along with cash collected during the Virtual Food Barrel Challenge. A big THANK YOU to everyone to participated this year! Be sure to check out our Team and Sponsor pages for all of our partners.